Saturday, August 21, 2010

Runner in the Spotlight: Lauren Bryant

Lauren Bryant started running a year and a half ago, starting first by incorporating jogs into her walks. Soon, she was on to completing races throughout the region! Running has changed her life and she hopes that this spotlight will bring others encouragement. Best of luck to Lauren at her first marathon this fall!

Where do you work?
South Park Mall. I am a makeup artist for Laura Mercier.

What's your favorite restaurant in Charlotte?
I love Mexican food so Zapata's is a favorite of mine. Bentley's is also delicious and the view of the city is amazing!

How long have you lived in Charlotte?
6 years

When and why did you start running?
I started running about a year and a half ago. It was not at all planned. I was walking one day and thought I would jog a little bit...never really having jogged a day in my life. I made it about 30 seconds and had to stop. Since then I have completed two 5k's, one 10k and two half marathons. All while losing over 50 lbs.

Do you use the popular run / walk method in your races? What do you like most about using this method?
My one personal goal during my training and races is to not stop and walk. I'd rather run at a more comfortable pace and make it through the distance.

What do you love about running?
I love pushing myself and testing my limits. It's amazing to see what you can train your body to do. I love how it has transformed me into someone that I had no idea I could be.

Favorite place you've traveled and loved for running?
My hometown, Columbia, SC.

What’s the funniest/strangest/worst thing that has ever happened to you on a run?
On my first long run I started laughing to myself when I thought of the things people didn't warn me about. The first one being that running a long distance will cause you to be hot and sweaty with chills all at the same time. The second...chaffing will occur so use Vaseline.

What motivates you to get out the door every day in this summer heat?
I think of how good I will feel after my run, how relaxed I will be and how energized I will feel for the rest of the day.

What's your most memorable race and why?
The Palmetto Half Marathon in Columbia, SC. It went through my parents neighborhood which is the neighborhood that I lived in growing up. They met me on the course and took this picture of me. If you had told me back then that I would be running 13 miles down those same streets I never would have believed you.

Favorite Charlotte race?
Dowd YMCA Half Marathon. Love the hills!

Where is your favorite place to run in Charlotte?
I love running McMullen Creek Greenway for a shaded, scenic route. However Ballantyne Commons Parkway is awesome for hill work!

What’s your favorite CRC group run to join?
I am a new member and haven't been able to met up for a group run yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Favorite distance? PR?
Half marathon - 2:14:10. I shaved 30 minutes off my time in 3 months!

What’s next on your race calendar?
Spinx RaceFest in Greenville, SC on October 30th. It will be my first marathon.

What do you love most about the Charlotte Running Club?
It keeps me motivated! I love to see all of the updates on the races members have run.

No comments:

Post a Comment