Thursday, October 14, 2010

Runner in the Spotlight: Derrick

Where do you work?
Wells Fargo
What's your favorite restaurant in Charlotte?
Chain: Carrabbas, Brio
Non-Chain: 131 Main, Savor on Moorehead

How long have you lived in Charlotte?
I came to Charlotte to attend UNCC in '95. I stayed here after graduating in '99.

When and why did you start running?
I started back in '04. I was looking for a way to get "in shape". In the years after college, I reached a weight of 192 lbs and a size 36 waist. Jim Devine, on staff at the gym, kept pushing me to give long distance running a try. I did and after a couple of 5k races I was hooked.

What do you love about running?
The workout it provides and how it allows you to see more of a city when traveling.
Favorite place you've traveled and loved for running?
Victoria BC

What’s the funniest/strangest/worst thing that has ever happened to you on a run?
A few years ago, I did the Bare Bones 5k in Salisbury. During the first 1/4 mile of the race, while looking at my garmin 201, I tripped on an around cone and fell to the ground and scraped my elbow among other things.

What motivated you to get out the door every day in the summer heat?
I'm preparing for a marathon in December. The build-up to it is essential to having a good race.

What's your most memorable race and why?
The Boston Marathon '09. The whole experience was amazing. I had heard many stories of the crowds, the girls of Wellesly college course. It's the one event that lived up to the hype for me.

Favorite Charlotte race?
Charlotte Skyline 5k

Where is your favorite place to run in Charlotte?
I do most my runs in the University area which is where I live and work. I do enjoy getting out to Dilworth and McAlpine whenever I can.

Favorite distance? PR?
1/2 Marathon PR is 1:27:55

What do you love most about the Charlotte Running Club?
I enjoy reading about the local running news in the bi-weekly newsletter.

If you were the President of the CRC, what would you try to change / make happen in the club?
A Saturday long run option would be great.

Tell me about your stress fracture, when it happened, and how you've overcome it.
While training for a marathon 2 years straight, I had a stress fracture in my right fibula just above my ankle. The second time, occurred during the Myrtle Beach marathon. I felt increasing pain after mile 18 but pushed through because I knew I could slow down and still qualify for Boston. I finished with a time of 3:06:55. I've added strength training to my training as well added more structure when increasing miles.

2 comments:

  1. As always... I am so proud of you and appreciate your help to see that I could run a 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great conversation! great run!
    More power!

    ReplyDelete