Sunday, September 19, 2010

Runner in the Spotlight: Tonya Taylor

Where do you work?
Wells Fargo

What's your favorite restaurant in Charlotte?
Brixx Pizza

How long have you lived in Charlotte?
3 years

When and why did you start running?
I first looked or tried running in high school, and then I started becoming more serious about running at USCS in Spartanburg and joined the cross country team. I never thought in a million years I would have a passion for it.

What do you love about running?
The number one thing I love about running is the escape from the world and the long lasting friendships I have had through running. Now that I’m older I love going out from a run after a long stressful day and blowing off some steam.

Favorite place you've traveled and loved for running?
My favorite place that I have traveled for running has been going to San Fran and running my first marathon with Team in Training last year.

What’s the funniest/strangest/worst thing that has ever happened to you on a run?
It was springtime my sophomore year on the USCS cross country team and the cross country girls choose to run trails through a local park across from the school and we saw a couple having… well making biscuits ( if you know what I mean). I guess that was the strangest thing that I’ve seen during my runs.

What motivates you to get out the door every day in this summer heat?
The thing that motivates me on getting out the door to beat the heat is knowing I can have some nice cold chocolate milk my runs. I also love running with new groups and meeting new people.

What's your most memorable race and why?
The most memorable race I had was during my freshman year on the cross country team when my dad came and saw me run the first race since high school. In high school, I was always practically the last runner to cross the finish line, and I ran my first college race at Lander University near the fron of the group. When he saw me in the lead pack, he was so impressed that I was near the front of the group and not behind. He was so proud of me so he came and saw me at every race I had that year. It was my best year as a runner in college.

Favorite Charlotte race?
Run for Your Life 4miler. I love the Dilworth area and running there.

Where is your favorite place to run in Charlotte?
Dilworth is my favorite place to run because living in the south we runners need shade.

What’s your favorite CRC group run to join?
I lead a group on Thursday from the YMCA and love it, and also love going to different ones when I can.

Favorite distance? PR?
I love half marathons. It’s the perfect distance for me.

What’s next on your race calendar?
I think I’m going to do half marathon at Thunder Road but I’m not 100% sure yet.

What do you love most about the Charlotte Running Club?
The diversity in the group and the different pace groups.

Fun fact?
My favorite experience was with Team in Training and running my 1st marathon in CA. I thought the experience helped me grow as a individual and love creating long lasting friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment